Thursday, October 28, 2010

Day 42: A decade of love and days of rain



Since there’s plenty of time and daylight every morning to stay in bed and read, Mike finished his third book of our trip this morning. As he was walking out of the room, I remarked that I hadn’t seen him read this much in the 10 years we’ve been together. Which reminded me, today officially marks the 10th year that we’ve been in each other’s lives. So we’ve had a few intermissions here and there along the journey. Even though we may have left each other’s sides, we never really left each other’s lives. And here we are now; two years married and 10 years in love. Pardon my sappiness but it’s a milestone. Mike walked back over to the bed, shook my hand and congratulated me.

Our banana count has been drastically reduced as the birds have shredded the ones that were ripening on our doorstep and the ants have been feasting on them as well. We are now down to half of our collection which is ripening faster than we can eat them so I don’t mind sharing anyways. Plus, it’s brought some of my favorite birds out for us to watch. The Lonely Planet guide highlights bird watching among the top things to do in Costa Rica but I personally have no interest in standing around waiting for birds to land. Even though I’m no fanatic, I can’t help but notice that there are some unique birds around here. My favorites are the really simple highlighter streaked birds. They’re small, entirely black birds with the exception of their bright fluorescent orange backs, like little construction vests. We’ve tried to get pics of them for the past few weeks but they have the advantage of flight. So the bananas have really helped bait ‘em into a photoshoot.

It’s been a few days longer than normal for our internet fill. We’ve been held hostage in our house by sheets of rain. I’m thinking it’s my fault again. I spoke to my parents a few nights ago and explained that the weather had been holding up uncharacteristically well since we were told October was filled with endless rainy days. Ever since that conversation, we haven’t seen the sun. It’s not terrible. But it does come with some suffocating humidity that my body is not equipped to handle. It takes Mike at least ten minutes of a workout to sweat the same amount as I do when I wash the dishes. I actually choose to take a cold shower most days.

Mother Nature is just doing her job in preparation for the dry season. With each day of rain, the greens get greener. The gloominess that accompanies rain even seems to be tinted shades of green instead of gray. Even though I miss the familiarity of home and family and friends, I know I will miss how alive the scenery is here when we land in Connecticut mid-December. The green canvas will be erased and turned white…maybe…most definitely gray, I’m sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment