Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Day 18: We are ready for some football.



Even after four years away from his home in South Carolina, Clint hasn’t lost his southern accent or hospitality and as promised, he picked us up for Quepos around 8am this morning. So we still had to set the alarm and walk out the door a few hours before kickoff…we didn’t care.

He dropped us off at a peaceful little park where I laid on a bench and tried to take a pre-game nap while Mike snapped a bunch of photos. Then we made our way into town to get my coffee fix. Even if the bar was open, we felt a little odd parking ourselves at a bar stool first thing in the morning. We found our coffee and bonus for me, I got my cheese fix too with a queso empanada (which I can only describe as a hot pocket filled with some type of excellent cheese but that’s really a terrible description for how tasty it actually was). Even after all that, it was still only 10am, but we felt comfortable enough to head to the bar, Los Pescadores.

It was the size and shape of a large UHaul with four 50 inch flatscreens, air conditioning, free internet and lots of English as it eventually filled with foreigners heckling refs and defending Drew Brees. We appeared to be the only ones who weren’t regulars, including the 85 year old lady with a back cushion and a coozie. I’m not sure who she was, but everyone else seemed to know her name and all but yelled it as she walked in the door and so I renamed her Norm-a. We didn’t get to see the Pats and we won’t (unless Clint feels compelled to hang out with a couple of New Englanders tomorrow evening) but, like I already said, it’s alright. I enjoyed hearing the NFL jingles and watching the Geico gecko instead of an unnamed one crawling on our wall.

Speaking of creatures, we have decided on our new home. Both options were an upgrade in comparison to our current Crab Shack, but one was a super duper upgrade that I couldn’t pass up and it’s no more than a ten minute walk to town. With regard to our current home, on the outside, it appears to be a one story. Live in it for a few weeks and you’ll soon come to realize it’s actually three. After Mike found a crab running under the foundation and a hundred crab holes in our yard, we’re pretty certain they live below us. And for the past couple of weeks, we’ve heard some kind of shrieking and scrambling around above us. We thought it might be bats until last night when our neighbors remembered why the previous renters moved out. They couldn’t take the iguanas that lived in the ceiling.

So is it really necessary for me to tell you that I’m still not getting much sleep? Fortunately while I lay awake last night listening to lizards that aren’t courteous housemates, I realized our countdown is off by two days. Since we are leaving CR on December 14th, we can actually start our two months in our new house on October 14th. And when you’re buggy-eyed (I think I actually get what that term means now) wondering what might crawl or fall into your bed…it still seems too far away.

No comments:

Post a Comment