Saturday, October 23, 2010

Day 37: Battle of the beard


So over the past couple of weeks, Mike and I have discussed his beard on numerous occasions. Not because it’s a pressing issue, but most of the time it invites itself into our conversation by either getting in the way of a kiss or getting some kind of food stuck in it. It’s been over two months since it’s seen a blade (with the exception of the scissors he used to trim his moustache since it was curling over his top lip). I’m encouraging a shave and even offered one of my unused, just as expensive, razor blades with built in moisture pads for the deed. He’s declined.

Now if we were home, Mike would rock the beard for winter, and I support anything that’s intended to keep him warm. But here, in the humidity, sun and heat, there’s no need for his chin to be wearing a sweater. I’m so anti it now, that when he gets food stuck in it, I don’t tell him. (He gets mad if he has food in his teeth and I don’t tell him so I figure this might be worse…at least your teeth can hide). I also find his constant stroking of his beard excessive and for some reason the noise it makes (like twisting a brillo pad) slightly irritates me if it’s silent. All I have to do is imagine a cartoon thought bubble above his head and make him look up and it would be as if he’s pondering some deep concepts, like “to shave or not to shave.”

Unfortunately, as we listed the pros and cons of having a beard, Mike can think of more pros than my cons. He claims it works well as sun protection, it saves money on razors, it stops crumbs from hitting the floor, he doesn't have to buy a halloween costume since he can be Alan from the Hangover, and it’s fun to play with. Plus if he shaved it now, he’d look like he was wearing a surgical mask while tanning. My argument is less creative. Getting close is itchy for me and with the curly afro on his head combined with all the wiry hair below his nose, his handsome face is being consumed by a helmet of hair. And it’s not fair to his sideburns that they have no place to call home anymore… alright…that one might be pushing it.

There is a chance that they may be parting ways though as I found out he’s requested Matt bring a beard trimmer. Hmmmm. Could I be so lucky? If not, I hope I don’t have an accident when he’s deep in sleep one night…

So what do you think? Beard or no beard? We’re taking a poll and Mike has promised that this will decide the fate of his beard. You have 8 days to let us know what you think…we’ll be checking in on the comments. I promise I won’t delete any.

25 comments:

  1. Amanda23.10.10

    I vote for a shave....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nicole - 1
    Mike - 0

    Thank You :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. John Milios23.10.10

    Don't shave it Mike! What does SHE know, Nicole's just jealous!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shaaaave iiiiiittt! There's a difference between chilling in the jungle for a few months and looking like you've just emerged out of the jungle after being raised by creatures since birth...ok its not that bad, but shave it. Only hideous people truly need to hide beneath a face fro.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nicole you should grow one too.

    -Joe

    ReplyDelete
  6. Don't shave it until you come home...Sorry Nicole.

    - Jesse

    ReplyDelete
  7. Shannon23.10.10

    Steve asked how the ark is coming because he looks like Evan Almighty (but no vote because it's Mike's face not his).

    I personally think ONE brother-in-law with a beard resembling the Big Guy is enough for me (shave it).

    Matthew wrinkled his nose at the picture and said 'shave it'.

    Hopefully, most importantly (since they have such a good relationship), when we showed Sophie the picture she backed away, grinned nervously and did not know who he was when we asked. I hope a future relationship with his favorite niece would prompt a shave!

    That's 3 for shave - hope it evens up the score! Love you guys - stay safe!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. zaccaro24.10.10

    def keep it, i was telling liz today i want to write a book, "the year of the beard" i tiold her i would have to try to pick up chicks for research...... so my vote is keep it

    ReplyDelete
  9. Dad Michaud24.10.10

    Sorry Mike, but I say shave it, you're to handsome to cover up that face with hair. Besides, your wife wants you to shave and that should be enough of a reason to get rid of it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. I vote leave it!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm enjoying the comments. Thanks for joining the battle. Looks like I'm ahead on the blog, but with the Facebook comments, it's gonna be tight. We have until Saturday, so hopefully I'll get some more.

    And Shan, he's confident he can repair his relationship with Soph after tossing her up in the air a few times...

    I've already called him Evan Almighty (they play commercials of that movie daily on one of our channels) and Jesus (in English), he corrects me by telling me it's Jesus (like Hay-zeus).

    Nat, love the "only hideous people truly need to hide behind a face fro..." :)

    We'll see....5 more days.

    ReplyDelete
  12. SAVE THE BEARD ! ! ! In support of you 003, I am now too joining the BEARD cause! Starting today, I will NOT shave my beard until our beards are united again in December!!! I'll post progression pics on facebook for moral support . . . give me a week or so though because I just shaved for a wedding on Saturday!!! lol . . .

    SAVE THE BEARDS ! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  13. Anonymous25.10.10

    Keep it. I love beards.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Anonymous25.10.10

    I say shave it and even out your face-tan now. If you don't you'll have a silly face-tan when you get home and shave... and then no costa rican sun to fix it!

    -Libby

    ReplyDelete
  15. Anonymous28.10.10

    I'm with Nicole... shave it!
    Kyle

    ReplyDelete
  16. I vote to SAVE the beard. Hey, if the president of the United States of America can vote for himself in the election I can vote to SAVE my beard!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Anonymous29.10.10

    Shave.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jaehaus29.10.10

    Obviously I'M in full support of keeping it going! VIVA LA BEARDS!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Save that beard!!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Would someone nicknamed Fuzz vote anything else?

    ReplyDelete
  21. Keep it! I'm jealous. I won't be able to grow a beard until I'm 50.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Anonymous29.10.10

    I am voting for the beard to stay. Uncle Paul said shave it. Remember that Mike when you are picking my present out for watching the cats(not my fault they didn't show up). Instead a mouse came to visit. Keep writing love reading your adventures. Love Aunt Pat

    ReplyDelete
  23. Anonymous29.10.10

    No more beard, you look creepy!!!! LUV NINA

    ReplyDelete