Saturday, October 9, 2010

Day 23: POST-Earthquake (a little freaked out...)

As I was wrapping up the Day 23 entry, I was interrupted. Not by Mike, not by a crab, not by a bug but by an earthquake. We’ve felt tremors before when we lived in Japan (I once woke up to our bed shaking and looked a little funny at Mike until I realized what was actually happening). This began as a tremor that made us look at each other in recognition. And then escalated into a shake that made us get up and head to our doorway (not because we were following earthquake etiquette, but we wanted to see if anyone was making a quick escape because we’d definitely need a ride). The 30 seconds it lasted was long enough to freak me out and naturally, being a neighbor to what seems like an endless ocean, freaked me out even more that a tsunami could be following. And now we sit, watching the window to hitch a ride in the event (one of) my worst nightmares comes true. There isn’t much else we can do. And if you’re reading this post, guess it means we’re safe. Thankfully. I do believe the last four weeks of living here have taken years off my life. Alright, maybe I'm exaggerating...but days at least. Hope each day I lay on the beach helps get the lost ones back.

No comments:

Post a Comment